Thursday, January 7, 2016

Updates and Extensions to the Rules for Fortunes - Spiritbane Weapons, Hobbitbane Weapons, Dwarfbane Weapons, & Trollbane Weapons [Part 3/24]

Here are the next set of Fortunes that have been updated and extended. Similar to what we said in the last post, these fortunes are applied to the entire formation and have their cost associated with the number of companies contained within the formation.

A few things to note: First, Dwarfbane Weapons have been moved from Fates over to Fortunes to keep it with the other bane upgrades. Second, Trollbane Weapons cost a little more due to the fact that Trolls have the Hard to Kill special rule ... so they are still harder to kill. Note that the bonus to dice roll only applies when determining the rolls To Hit against the Troll's Resilience Stat and not the rolls on the Hard to Kill table (it seems like a lot of people get this confused when reading the rule - and a future post will probably talk about this too [wink/wink]).


There is another week down the drain ... I will be back in DC again next week - so it may be hard to get as much accomplished as I may hope! Perhaps I'll swing by the DC Hobbit League and see what's going on there!































LINKS TO OTHER FORTUNE UPDATES AND EXTENSIONS
  1. Athelas, Indomnitable Defiance, & Seat of Ancient Power [Part 1/24]
  2. Orcbane Weapons, Manbane Weapons, Goblinbane Weapons, & Elfbane Weapons [Part 2/24]
  3. Spiritbane Weapons, Hobbitbane Weapons, Dwarfbane Weapons, & Trollbane Weapons [Part 3/24]
  4. Dragonbane Weapons, Wargbane Weapons, Cavalrybane Weapons, & Monsterbane Weapons [Part 4/24]
  5. Steeds of Pure Blood, Fate Smiles Upon You, Galadhrim Longbows, & Hero of the Hour [Part 5/24]
  6. Mithril Coat, Untainted Palantir, Banner of the Free People, & Desperate Heroics [Part 6/24]
  7. Inner Glory, Song of Elbereth, The Blessing of Galadriel, & Wise Counsel [Part 7/24]
  8. Ancient Lore, Counter Spell, Forgotten Fortifications, Dragonslayer & Monsterslayer [Part 8/24]
  9. Magical Resistance & Blessed Grove [Part 9/24]
LINKS TO OTHER FATE UPDATES AND EXTENSIONS
  1. Morgul Blades, Dark Shrine, & Entslayer [Part 10/24]
  2. Greed for Glory, Cursed Armor of Udun, Tainted Palantir, & Banner of Barad-dur [Part 11/24]
  3. Faltering Nerve, Sigil of the Fallen Kings, The Crown of Carn Dum & There Will be no Dawn [Part 12/24]
  4. There Will be no Dawn, Evil Reputation, Tormented Steeds, & Balefire Arrows [Part 13/24]
  5. Black-hearted Trees, Curse of Morgoth, Tokens of Terror, & Haunted Wasteland [Part 14/24]
  6. Infestation, Watcher in the Shadows, & Ignore Pain [Part 15/24]
  7. TBD [Part 16/24]
LINKS TO OTHER ARTIFACT AND RELICS EXTENSIONS
  1. Weapon Cache: Bows and Weapon Cache: Pikes [Part 21/24]
  2. TBD [Part 22/24]

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have been following your work ever since I learned about your site on one-ring.co.uk. I have to say that it is pretty awesome what you have done and I thank you for all your work.

    I have a very large collection of LotR figures (over 5,000 painted) and I play WotR exclusively, though I has been difficult to find opponents. Many have drifted away to other games, such as Kings of War, because some of the rules, and nearly all the point costs, for WotR are broken.

    Personally, I find that playing large-point games, of at least 2000 or so, tend to be fairly balanced. Despite one unit being more powerful for the cost, in the end it all balances out.

    The problem I have ran into is that unless I am providing the troops to play with, my opponents can only afford to play games of 1,000 or so point. Games at this level can easily get manipulated by the unit costs and rules in the game.

    I do not have a preference for one nation or another, I play them all, but it has been really tough to find players who do not try to create the ultimate "power" force. I, for example, will play an all-Dunland army, where my only hero is Thryden, yet my opponent will field a "Rohan" Army that consist of, lets see, Elrond and Galadriel, as well as several units of Dwarf Vault Wardens and Dain Ironfoot, plus some units of Gondor trebuchets. This is possible because the player purchased enough common 15-point Rohan cannon-fodder to allow all these rare troops, plus there is no real restrictions for allies. Simply put, any player can call upon the best that their "allies" can provide. Needless to say, I get creamed.

    However, at 2000+ points I will have enough cannon-fodder survive these things. troops will eventually die and Might gets used up, so I just need to wear the enemy down. Although they have all these super units, in the end, I have more staying power. This is not possible in smaller point games.

    With this in mind, I refer to your work which is addressing these problems. I like what you have done and I am looking forward to the time when I can try out your work.

    Take care and keep up the great work!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete