Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Fortress of Isengard Unit Cost Analysis

My buddy, Jeremy, would be infuriated with my blog … all the examples for Warriors and Heroes and Legendary Companies have been focused around Gondor & Arnor. He would want to see the analysis from a "bad guy's" perspective and have that resource available, also.

My initial response would probably be a little passive aggressive: "I've laid out the equations and process for doing the calculations - why can't you just do it and figure it out yourself?!?" However, thinking about it in the sense that "If he doesn't have the information available easily, then who exactly am I going to play against?".

OK, bad guys, here you go … Don't ever say I am "Gondor-biased", again, Jeremy!

ISENGARD WARRIORS

Keys:
(C) = Common Formation, (R) = Rare Formation, (L) = Legendary Formation
[I] = Infantry, [H] = Cavalry, [A] = Artillery, [M] = "Monster", [MH] = "Monster Hero"
  • (R) [I] Wild Men of Dunland - Underpriced by 25%
  • (L) [I] Mauhur's Marauders - Underpriced by 25%
  • (L) [I] Ugluk's Raiders - Underpriced by 14%
  • (R) [M] Isengard Troll - Underpriced by 5%
  • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Warband - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Scout Warband - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [I] Uruk-hai Sappers - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [I] Ferel Uruk-hai Warband - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [I] Dunlending Huscarls - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [H] Warg Rider Warband - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [A] Isengard Assault Ballista - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (L) [H] Sharku's Hunters - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Phalanx - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (R) [MH] Isengard Troll Captain - Overpriced by 3%
  • (R) [A] Isengard Battering Ram - Overpriced by 11%
  • (L) [I] Vrashku's Talons - Overpriced by 17%
  • (R) [H] Dunlending Horsemen - Overpriced by 33%
  • (C) [I] Isengard Orc Warband - Overpriced by 50%
  • (R) [I] Uruk-hai Berserker Warband - Overpriced by 100%
  • (R) [I] Sharkey's Ruffians - Overpriced by 100%
Applying the template from cheapest (weakest stat-wise) to most expensive (most powerful) gives:
  • 5 Points per Company:
    • (R) [I] Sharkey's Ruffians
  • 10 Points per Company:
    • (C) [I] Isengard Orc Warband
  • 15 Points per Company:
    • (R) [H] Dunlending Horsemen
  • 20 Points per Company:
    • (R) [I] Wild Men of Dunland
    • (R) [H] Warg Rider Warband
  • 25 Points per Company:
    • (R) [I] Dunlending Huscarls
    • (L) [H] Sharku's Hunters
  • 30 Points per Company:
    • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Scout Warband
    • (R) [I] Uruk-hai Sappers
    • (L) [I] Vrashku's Talons
  • 35 Points per Company:
    • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Warband
    • (C) [I] Uruk-hai Phalanx
    • (L) [I] Ugluk's Raider
  • 40 Points per Company:
    • (R) [I] Ferel Uruk-hai Warband
    • (L) [I] Mauhur's Marauders
  • 45 Points per Company:
    • (R) [A] Isengard Battering Ram
  • 55 Points per Company:
    • (R) [I] Uruk-hai Berserker Warband
  • 75 Points per Company:
    • (R) [A] Isengard Assault Ballista
  • 105 Points per Company:
    • (R) [M] Isengard Troll
  • 145 Points per Company:
    • (R) [M] Isengard Troll Captain
ISENGARD HEROES



Key: (C) = Command Hero, (L) = Legendary Hero, (E) = Epic Hero
  • (E) Thrydan Wolfsbane - Underpriced by 47%
  • (E) Saruman the White Hand - Underpriced by 9%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Captain UP - Underpriced by 9%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Captain UW - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (C) Orc Captain WRW - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (L) Sharku - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (E) Grima Wormtongue - Accurately Priced (0% deviation)
  • (C) Dunlending Chieftain DHu - Overpriced by 11%
  • (E) Lurtz - Overpriced by 17%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman UP - Overpriced by 18%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Captain USW - Overpriced by 25%
  • (C) Dunlending Chieftain DHo - Overpriced by 25%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman UW - Overpriced by 25%
  • (C) Isengard Shaman WRW - Overpriced by 25%
  • (L) Mauhur - Overpriced by 33%
  • (L) Ugluk - Overpriced by 35%
  • (L) Vrashku - Overpriced by 36%
  • (C) Orc Captain IOW - Overpriced by 43%
  • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman USW - Overpriced by 43%
  • (C) Isengard Shaman IOW - Overpriced by 54%
Applying the template and sorting by the cost calculated by the template for Isengard heroes, we get the following from cheapest (weakest stat-wise) to most expensive (most powerful):
  • Heroes that should cost 35 Points:
    • (C) Orc Captain IOW
  • Heroes that should cost 40 Points:
    • (C) Uruk-hai Captain USW
    • (C) Dunlending Chieftain DHo
  • Heroes that should cost 45 Points:
    • (C) Dunlending Chieftain DHu
  • Heroes that should cost 50 Points:
    • (C) Uruk-hai Captain UW
    • (C) Orc Captain WRW
  • Heroes that should cost 55 Points:
    • (C) Uruk-hai Captain UP
  • Heroes that should cost 65 Points:
    • (C) Isengard Shaman IOW
  • Heroes that should cost 70 Points:
    • (L) Vrashku
    • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman USW
  • Heroes that should cost 75 Points:
    • (L) Sharku
    • (L) Mauhur
    • (E) Grima Wormtongue
  • Heroes that should cost 80 Points:
    • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman UW
    • (C) Isengard Shaman WRW
  • Heroes that should cost 85 Points:
    • (C) Uruk-hai Shaman UP
    • (L) Ugluk
  • Heroes that should cost 95 Points:
    • (E) Thrydan Wolfsbane
  • Heroes that should cost 150 Points:
    • (E) Lurtz
  • Heroes that should cost 265 Points:
    • (E) Saruman the White Hand
TASKMASTERS COMMAND UPGRADE
"By ensuring that their fellows fear them more than the foe, Taskmaster can instill an enthusiasm for battle in even the most cowardly of Orcs! A formation with a Taskmaster adds 1 to its Courage characteristic, on top of any other bonuses."  
- WotR Rule Book pg 60
Similar to the analyses that were done for Hornblowers, a profile line increase of 1 for the Courage Value costs +2.5 points [0.5*+5 points].

So, what I am suggesting is that the Taskmasters upgrade should be based upon the number of companies within a formation - and not just a flat rate upgrade point cost, thus it would be as if simply upping the Courage Value by 1 of the companies within the formation:
  • 1-2 Company in Formation = 5 Points
  • 3-4 Companies in Formation = 10 Points
  • 5-6 Companies in Formation = 15 Points
  • 7-8 Companies in Formation = 20 Points
  • 8-9 Companies in Formation = 25 Points

    No comments:

    Post a Comment